June 22, 2014

Two Great Books


There are two books that I usually recommend to my puppy buyers. They both use the positive-reinforcement technique of clicker-training.  For those unfamiliar with clicker training, a clicker is used because it creates a distinct, "sharp" sound that acts as a marker.  This helps the puppy to understand more clearly what behavior is wanted. Often by the time we say the words "good boy," the action is passed and the puppy is unsure what elicited the praise.





51 Puppy Tricks - by Kyra Sundance- This book is great because it has step-by-step photos on each page of what to do, as well as "troubleshooting."  This is a great book also for children because of the way its laid out.




Clicker Training for Dogs, by Karen Pryor.-- Karen Pryor is the "grand dame" of clicker training and gives a clear, easily understood explanation of the process.

And of course, I have to show you my absolute FAVORITE clicker - the Spotty Training Clicker:



Why? It doesn't pinch your fingers, has a wrist band to keep it handy, and I like the nice sharp "click."



No comments:

Post a Comment